View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: Feral DPS

Your opening should be: Faerie Fire -> Feral Charge -> Ravage -> Mangle -> Rake -> Shred -> Tiger's Fury -> (Shred again for 5CP if you were unlucky) -> Rip -> Shred -> Savage Roar -> Shred -> Rake -> Berserk -> Shred Spam

Ideally you want to use Tiger's Fury for the rip and then still have the buff when you recast rake. However, you don't want to waste the energy gain just to do so. So if you are at 4CP and without the energy to shred, wait for the energy to shred, then shred -> tiger's fury -> rip. If you have 5CP and under 35ish energy (you can waste a little) then tiger's fury -> rip. If you get lucky and crit your ravage and/or mangle and get a OOC proc and are left with a pool of energy and 5CP, don't tiger's fury just to rip.

After the opening it goes like this...

• If OOC is proc'd -> Shred
  • If less than 35 energy -> Tiger's Fury
  • If mangle not present -> Mangle

• If rip is going to expire and you haven't shred 3 times since application -> Shred
  • If rip has less than 2 seconds remaining and you have 5 CP -> rip
  • If rake has less than 9 seconds remaining and Tiger's Fury buff is active -> rake
  • If rake has less then 2 seconds remaining -> rake
  • If savage roar is going to expire and rip still has more than 6 seconds -> savage roar

• If you have more than 70 energy -> shred
  • If you have less than 5CP and rip is going to expire -> shred
  • If Tiger's Fury is about to come off cooldown -> shred
  • Otherwise pool energy.

On bosses like Nefarian, Onyxia, Chimaeron, Valiona & Theralion, and Cho'Gall --> Feral Charge and Ravage every time it's up as you do NOT need to run out. (walk backwards after doing so)

On other bosses, if you are in the "otherwise pool energy" stage of the above rotation it's actually a DPS gain to run out and feral charge back in and ravage. The ravage is more dps than the melee swings you would do. 90% of them you will have too much to do anyway, but if you ever find yourself with the time to do so, do it.

In a nutshell... Shred spam until rake or rip get under 5 seconds. Re-apply them when 2 seconds (or less) remaining. Remember after using Tiger's Fury to try and get a re-application of rake in before the 15% damage buff falls off. You should be able to do this every other rake. Also try and use a tiger's fury to buff rip. So if you see tiger's fury about to come up and rip is about to fall off, shred spam to dump energy -> tiger's fury -> rip -> (then rake if less than 9 seconds left on it).

Wasting combo points by shredding with 5CP is not a big deal and letting savage roar fall off is less of a big deal compared to letting rip fall off. So don't savage roar if you aren't going to be able to get 5CP again before rip falls off.

Berserk again at the next most opportune time (like for swiping many adds or during bloodlust). However... you should not berserk if tiger's fury has less than 15 seconds on the cooldown. Ideally you should also wait until you have just re-applied rip and rake and then let your energy pool a bit.

Once below 25% life...

(Assuming rip is present)
Tiger's Fury every time it's up
Rake when there is less than 2 seconds left on it
Shred spam
Every time you get to 5CP -> Ferocious Bite

Last edited by syntax53 on 2011/02/16 15:20; edited 1 time in total

Sintax
syntax53
Officer

Over all the Cho'Gal wipes last night...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1zbp1bqw3bxg7nx8/sum/damageDone/?enc=wipes&boss=43324

Forum Image

...With the exception of Nikaya, the 3 of us have pretty close numbers in agility and mastery. Meaning our gear is close. So there is no reason for any major discrepancy in damage. The major issue with all of you is rip uptime. As our #1 source of damage it is imperative that you keep it up. On a boss like cho'gal (for example) it's better to re-apply a 5CP rip early before you switch to kill the add then it is to leave with only 5 seconds remaining on it.

• Nikaya:For your rotation, you are obviously shredding too much. Focus more on improving your rip uptime.

Looking at your gear makes me angry. You have a number of inferior blues. While they are minor upgrades, they are still upgrades easily attainable and add up to over 100 dps between them all: [Pendant of the Lightless Grotto] , [Cloak of Thredd] , [Crafty's Gaiters] , and [Seliza's Spear] .

You are also using non-heroic and inferior bracers. This is unacceptable. [Double Dealing Bracers] is a 100 dps upgrade.

You don't seem to have [Signet of the Elder Council] either...???!?!? Are you not exalted with Earthen Ring yet? Gigantic fail.

Lastly, you should be farming for [Tia's Grace] . Or buy Scragg's [Unheeded Warning] off of him for 12k gold. These are both very high dps upgrades.

• Taurgoth: With the exception of our weapons (which is a large part of our damage I know, qq), your gear is technically better than mine so you really need to work on your rotation. Refer to what I wrote above.

You seem to be reforging things for haste instead of crit. You aren't at the gear level for that just yet. Your neck, gloves, belt, ring, and relic all need to be reforged for crit instead of haste.

Heroic Tia's grace is actually a 20 dps upgrade over essence of the cyclone. Unheeded warning is a 220 dps upgrade.

Lastly, I have no clue why your average rip tick is so insanely low. Were you wearing you bear gear or something last night?

edit: Taurgoth, I see over all cho'gal attempts you only casted Tiger's Fury (or at least only gained the Tiger's Fury buff) 17 times. I had 55--

http://wowhead.com/?spell=5217
    Code: Select all
    Tiger's Fury
    Actor    Count
    Sintax    55
    Redkeekee    47
    Nikaya    43
    Taurgoth    17

What's up with that?

You also only casted berserk twice, compred to my 10. Are you not using it every time it's up?

Sintax
syntax53
Officer

thanks for the tips.
I've been following this guide pretty closely: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969727226

I've also been focusing on savage roar lately..since my original weakness was almost never applying it..its probably cutting into my rip time...obviously I'll focus less on that and hope the muscle memory has kicked in.

For the gear..my main issue there is time. The majority of my availability is raid time..so I can't farm the gold/gear/faction often.

I grabbed a couple mods to help manage the priority list (badkitty, ovale) and was getting familiar with those the last couple raid nights.
Nikaya.Lothar
Raider

Funny tid-bit:
I know this post is hella old, but my opening is different from what you posted Sintax, and may explain the reason my burst occurs earlier than yours at the start, how it affects our overall numbers I don't know but I thought it would be worth mentioning my opening that I've had good luck with.

Faerie Fire/Feral Charge > Ravage (since its free, to keep my energy high) > Savage Roar (since it's cheap, allowing me to have full energy for my first) > Berserk > Rake, Shred till 5 > Rip > etc.

Because I've been pre-potting I don't worry so much about not using TF for my first Rake or Rip because of how high they scale from the potion and because the timing of when berserk comes off cd in relation to rake and rip's expiration usually lines me up perfectly for my second set of bleeds to get TF immediately.

Thoughts?

Redkeekee wrote:
Thoughts?

Early burst?

I'm going to stop using tricks on the tank in the beginning of the fight!

ScragLothar wrote:
Redkeekee wrote:
Thoughts?

Early burst?

I'm going to stop using tricks on the tank in the beginning of the fight!

Yea, that's exactly why I would be hesistant to try this. I already push the limit on threat at the beginning of the fight sometimes. I'll often wait until after my second tiger's fury to berserk just to give the tank some extra time.

Sintax
syntax53
Officer

Thats definitely true, and, depending on the tank I will change my opening. If I know they're not going to have threat, no way, but generally Galv and Giaus have really good threat, especially with 2-3 rogues and 2-3 hunters each raid. My reasoning is the earlier I use berserk, the sooner it comes off cooldown for a second go, which would make it the most "efficient" timing. Our Nefarion kill last week took 9 minutes and 10 seconds, so if I use berserk as the fight begins, I would get a third 10 seconds of berserk off! Imagine how significant this would have been on a fight that lasted 9min15sec or 6min15sec or even 3min15sec. I guess if you know the fight isn't going to be close to a 3 minute marker you're safe, but I'm never too careful :D.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Judgement Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: