View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: At the audiophiles...

Picked myself up a set of Sennheiser HD595 headphones and love them! Coupling them with the newest logitech USB noise canceling mic (on order) which is supposed to be very high "bang for your buck" quality.

I am unbelievably impressed with the quality of these headphones for $140 shipped from amazon.

I decided against the "headset" route since they are overpriced and not nearly the same quality as true headphones. We will see how things work out once i get the mic and determine how well it works.

I thought i'd pass this on since i struggled determining if i wanted to venture into higher class headphones coupled with a usb desktop mic vs a nice gaming headset. Undoubtedly the right choice was headphones and mic!!!
Valran1828
Raider

For listening. Now lets see if you can pull off speaking, or you downgraded what WE have to listen to.

Make sure you don't put the mic too far away from you. Also, make sure it's not going to pick up every vibration of your desk (as in, typing) or it'll be very annoying.

ScragLothar wrote:
For listening. Now lets see if you can pull off speaking, or you downgraded what WE have to listen to.

Make sure you don't put the mic too far away from you. Also, make sure it's not going to pick up every vibration of your desk (as in, typing) or it'll be very annoying.

You are the audiophile i was interested in hearing from Scragg, what are your thoughts/experiences in USB powered condenser microphones? They are very reasonably priced and I have read some good things about them...particularly in how easy they are to setup/use (plug and play) and the level of clarity you get in voice recording/skype use

That was my biggest concern was the transition from sounding good on vent to becoming a mouth breather...
Valran1828
Raider

Well, in general, a condenser will always get you a richer sound due to the size of the capsule/diaphragm.

I don't use a condenser for vent. I use a Shure SM-57, but that travels through a Korg Triton Extreme where it gets gated, compressed, and EQed.

However, it needs to be stressed that distance is a HUGE factor. Are you prepared to talk into the thing? Or are you looking to put it 18 inches away near your monitor?

When I'm talking on vent, the mic is no more than a half inch from the corner of my mouth.

ScragLothar wrote:
Well, in general, a condenser will always get you a richer sound due to the size of the capsule/diaphragm.

I don't use a condenser for vent. I use a Shure SM-57, but that travels through a Korg Triton Extreme where it gets gated, compressed, and EQed.

However, it needs to be stressed that distance is a HUGE factor. Are you prepared to talk into the thing? Or are you looking to put it 18 inches away near your monitor?

When I'm talking on vent, the mic is no more than a half inch from the corner of my mouth.

I have a buddy at work who apparently has an Audio Technica AT2020 USB condenser mic. He's letting me borrow it so I'll have to give it a test run. It comes with a nice desktop stand so i should be able to comfortably have it sit a few inches from my face. It's also directional with a lot of backlobe suppression so it should mask out most of anything not happening between my mouth and the mic.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Valran1828
Raider

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Judgement Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum